8.125"h x 7.625"w
Hopi utility canteen, 1920s, sealed with pinion pitch. The canteen was made for use and not for sale to tourists. The canteen was collected in about 1927 by Mary and Harold Colton, directors of the Museum of Northern Arizona. After the Colton’s death, this pot was given by their son Joseph to his daughter Robin, who in turn passed this canteen on to her daughter (the Colton’s granddaughter ) Sheila.
For a similar utility canteen found in a Houston resale shop, see 2003-09.Purchase History:
Purchased on 6/30/95 from Sheila at Hoel’s Indian Shop, in Sedona.